Talking of crafts: Francesca of Mr. Nico tells about herselfEfesti
– Where, when, why. Tell us about your first steps into the world of craft and the reasons that induced you to work with your hands.
After some work experiences at other companies, Mr. Nico was born as a game. Full of ideas, Carolina and I have taken the first steps in an old farmhouse near the sea, where we began to experience ourselves in the craft and manual skill.
– What is the philosophyof the brand?What valueswould you like tocommunicate throughyour collections?
What makes us different is the packaging made from the piece of wood used to create the bijou, a support that contains and maintains the product idea, the point in which it was born: because it is obtained from the object and it is then placed where came to life. This transaction contains a clear message: nothing should be wasted. We would like that the use of ecological materials would become as an invitation to return to nature. Then there is the concept of the game: we would like that our creations could be able to bring the mind of the wearer to the games that were used in the past.
– A place withits own traditionsand itsauthenticity,can affect the development of aHow much the place where youcreate your ownartifactsinfluencedyour production?
It has influenced a lot because we work in a cottage by the sea, where it seems to be in the country, despite is placed in the center. It is a very quiet place and we consider it as our home, because it can make us relaxed, despite the tiredness after a day’s work. It is a place that we feel truly ours, because when we took it was falling, but I and Carolina have restored manually the whole structure and we have originated it as a child.
– Being craftsman in the twenty-first century: What have you recovered? What have you innovated?
The concepts are combined. The fresh new idea is put into communication with the past tradition. It is a knowledge of the past interpreted with a future vision.
– Uniqueness at all costs: the unique and limited series are synonymous of quality? If so, why?
Absolutely yes. Each piece is unique for us, even though the design is repeated, because considering that our material is wood, every single millimeter is unique in itself. We produce a certain amount of pieces by choice, because it is a job that requests a lot of time and precision.
– Is there a word, a concept, a metaphor that can represent your business and your work also to enclose the meaning?
Eco-friendly, passion, love and above all handmade in Italy.