TALKING ABOUT CRAFTS: MARCO FERRIANI OF IL BORSAIOLO TELLS ABOUT HIMSELFEfesti
Bags are made with care and meticulous attention to detail, respecting the materials and above all the tradition intentionally recovered, in his workshop at the foothills of Bologna. This is the starting point of all his creations , which will be re-invented and innovated according to his inspiration and the precepts of contemporary style. Efesti interviewed Ferriani Marco, Il Borsaiolo, for you: six answers to six questions talking about craft and himself.
– Where, when, why. Tell us about your first steps into the world of crafts and the reasons that induced you to work with your hands.
I think that the hands are the only one elements engaged in the creative act, since they are an appendage of the mind and the act it will be complete only if these two parts cooperate. Surely hands are essential in craft: in fact the material has to be touched to be shaped. The dexterity is linked to the sense of touch and the perception of the thickness of the materials that I have developed since I was child. I played with modeling clay and then gradually passing through different modeled materials since the university time.
– What is the philosophy of the brand? What values would you like to communicate through your products?
First the respect of raw materials and then of labor, even when it is engaged in simple operations . Therefore my objects must be carriers of this philosophy of respect and especially of the exploitation of materials.
– A place with its own traditions and its authenticity can affect the development of an artifact. How much has the place where you create the bicucles influenced your production?
I was born in Bologna and I have always lived in it. I love atmospheres of Bologna which are synonymous of a balanced contradiction: one city which is sober and at the same time exaggerated. It plays one provincial role but is always projects to the metropolis … And I feed of them.
– Being a craftsman in the twenty-first century: what have you recovered from the past? What have you innovate
In the twenty-first century the things change rapidly in all fields … but there is in the craft’s world something that seems not to change : the salvage of the tradition . I gleaned upon our tradition. I know all about our tradition and every time that I have to create I resume and then scramble to innovate , always paying the most attention to detail and the care of the product.
– Uniqueness at all costs: are the unique and limited products synonymous of quality? If so, why?
Conceptually is like this!
– Is there a word, a concept, a metaphor that can represent your business and your work also to enclose the meaning?
The concept is : every material are waiting us. We have to understand the material and later do something else with it.