TALKING ABOUT CRAFTS: GIULIO CASSANELLI TELLS ABOUT HIMSELFEfesti
Giulio Cassanelli develops a specific style from the encounter between soap bubbles and photography. The wise use of the camera allows him to stop time and extrapolate his subjects from history . Kairos then becomes the metaphor of its activities , as well as guidance for its future work and the exhibition held soon in Lugano .
Efesti interviewed Giulio Cassanelli for you: six answers to six questions talking about craft and himself.
– Where, when, why. Tell us about your first steps into the world of crafts and the reasons that induced you to work with your hands.
I Work as an artist and I chosed photography long time ago. I started crafting because of a particular needs of production. The suppliers and their skills finalize and conclude my job. Then the manual work and the real contact with the material completed and improved my work.
– What is the philosophy of the brand? What values would you like to communicate through your products?
I search and propose unique and unrepeatable moments
– A place with its own traditions and its authenticity can affect the development of an artifact. How much has the place where you create the bicucles influenced your production?
My works that are done with soap bubbles are produced in very special conditions. Certainly in the past the results were physically affected by the places where I was painting. In the last year the environmental circumstances have been studied very carefully and now I’m working under specific conditions of humidity and temperature.
– Being a craftsman in the twenty-first century: what have you recovered from the past? What have you innovate
In these years everything is more complicated and difficult.
Since 2008 my photographic itinerary is focuses on the remainder, particularly on food waste. I developed my own style and it happened to come back more time in searching of remainders to animate my set.
– Uniqueness at all costs: are the unique and limited products synonymous of quality? If so, why?
I usually work on both ways and It depends on the circumstances: of course the idea and production are the only real value. The quality fits then to the choice of the unique piece or of the multiple pieces.
– Is there a word, a concept, a metaphor that can represent your business and your work also to enclose the meaning?
One ancient Greek word: Kairos (καιρός)